Organs have featured in the Old Church for many years. The Reformed church community of the 16th century had two of them here, but unfortunately they were lost in the city fire of 1536. Others followed, but they too did not make it to the 21st century. Today, the Old Church has three pipe organs, each with its own distinct structure and sound.

The main organ is the largest of the three, with a total of 2,832 pipes. It was built in 1857 by Christian G.F. Witte, a member of the Bätz-Witte family, renowned organ manufacturers. The organ is still used every Sunday to accompany the congregational hymns. Unlike earlier Bätz-Witte organs, this instrument was designed to create a rich and grandiose sound.

The second organ is in the northern transept. It used to be housed in another church on the Schoolstraat, the street opposite of the Old Church. This church - also known as the 'armenkerk', or church of the needy - was used as an emergency church for Protestant worshippers after the fire of 1921, but it was demolished in the 1960s.

Student organ
The third organ, at the rear of the church, is a so-called cabinet organ. It is a small organ housed inside a cabinet with doors to close it off. Delft's student community donated the organ to the church in the second half of the 18th century.

Want to hear them?
The organs in the Old and New Church are both often played as part of concert performances. Refer to the agenda for up-to-date listings.


Timeline »

Close timeline ×